Sunday, August 24, 2014

Settling in Dubai, UAE


So here is the first official post from Dubai!  I arrived Saturday morning around 6 am.  When I got off the plane, I was immediately met by a young lady that works for "Mirahaba" service.  She was hired by the school to walk me through customs and the visa process.  I was shocked to find lines of people waiting to pass through customs: easily over 300 people at 4:30 in the morning.  The young lady walked me around these lines directly to a small office.  Many eyes watched us pass through their purgatory to direct contact with an Emirati official.  I could not help think that some eyes wondered who was this VIP white man while other eyes must have envisioned my personage bursting into flames.

My first contact after visa business and luggage was two business managers for the school: Ayman and Ayman.  They were very friendly helping me with my luggage.  As we walked out of the apartment the heat hit me.  the best way to describe the oppressive heat is to simply laugh.  In other words, my brain could not process the humidity, the temp, and the wind that actually makes it hotter!  They immediately handed me 2000 AED (about $550) for a "settling in allowance" and took me to my apartment.  The drive in a new country is always exciting as you see your new home unfolding in multiple lanes of traffic, bright signs and lights, foreign and recognizable adverts, etc.

I arrived to my new home on the second floor (welcome back to elevators).  My Swedish roommate was asleep as I unloaded my luggage on the floor and crashed in bed.  It was a long set of flights!!  Here are a few pictures of my accommodations:



As you can tell, the apartment is huge with all modern amenities save a clothes dryer. However, I sent ten shirts and three pairs of pants to a cleaners for 49 AED to be pressed.  $13!!!!!  Oh, and the man comes to your door to pick up the clothes and drop them off at your convenience.  AWESOME  Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is from IKEA in the apartment.  Daniel, my Swedish roommate, is quite comfortable with this brand as it is based out of his home country. 

Life in the morning is quite nice as the sun comes through the curtains.  I have my own bathroom with a great shower.  In the morning, breakfast is usually toast and eggs, a banana, and espresso with steamed milk from my roommate's espresso machine.  I enjoy all of this with the local English paper and great conversation with Daniel (next week's post will feature all of the people I have met including my new roommate).  

I have enjoyed meetings this last week immensely as I learn the school's curriculum and expectations.  I cannot begin to explain how fortunate I consider myself to be working for this organization.  But more on that next week!  For now, ciao!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're off to a great start. I've also decided I won't complain about the weather here. I can see your temps will be over 100° every day this week. We are suppose to be back in the 90's by the end of the week. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete